Spread Light to the World
Dear Sisters and Brothers of the Country Park 3rd Ward,
On Saturday August 22nd, I had the opportunity to attend a multi-stake training led by Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. With the pandemic, this was all done via technology. He informed us that every Thursday, the Twelve attend a special meeting with the First Presidency. This is usually done in the Salt Lake Temple, but with the renovation of the Temple currently taking place, they meet in a dedicated room at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Elder Rasband became visually emotional as he stated that when the Prophet gave them their various upcoming assignments through out the world, he asked the Twelve to make sure that the members knew these 3 things: 1. “Thank you for your faithfulness and all that you are doing”, 2. “I love each of you” and 3. “The Lord needs each of you to continue to keep the Kingdom moving forward”. What an incredible Christlike attribute, to have the ability to love us individually! I am so grateful for the blessing of a living Prophet.
President Nelson also shared with the Apostles that he is deeply concerned with what is taking place in the world at this time. President Nelson resides in an apartment downtown and he said that in his almost 96 years of life, this is the first time he had witnessed a riot and car burning just blocks from the Temple of the Lord. He then shared the following scripture with the Apostles, “For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away” (3 Nephi 11:29-30). With the social and political discord at this time, how can we share peace, hope and optimism to the world? Elder Rasband reminded us of what we have been taught by the Savior, “…I am the light which shineth in darkness …”(D&C 6:21). Once again, President Nelson has shown us the way, he is using Social Media. President Nelson makes inspirational posts at least twice a month. Elder Rasband asked if we were reading these posts, reminding us that “the most important reading we can do is any of the words of the (living) prophet” (Ezra Taft Benson). We can then share the Prophet's message on our own social media pages, this can increase the reach of President Nelson’s message to a world that desperately needs light and hope. Elder Rasband encouraged us all to make the Light shine brighter, share our own messages of Christ and hope or if we do not yet know what to say, share the messages from social media pages of Church leaders, our friends and family, the missionaries serving from our ward or those that are currently serving in our Stake. He reminded us to avoid contention. He then closed the subject with this scripture, “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come”(D&C 68:6).
Let us do what we can to shine the Light of Christ into the darkness that has engulfed the world, to bring some measure of peace and hope to a world in desperate need of it. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to see many of you again at our Sacrament Meetings. For those that cannot attend at this time, we want you to know that we love you and look forward to the day when we can be united again. Please continue to serve and love one another. I love you and am so grateful for all that you do.
Bishop Reese Davis
(The mission page for our area is “The Church of Jesus Christ in the Southern Salt Lake Valley”. Please like and follow this page as well as the missionaries serving in our area.)